Ottawa Marathon Project
Team MitoCanada will be participating in Tamarack Homes Ottawa Race Weekend May 26th and 27th, 2012. We are recruiting runners and would love for you to join our team if you are running any distance (Kids Fun Run, 5k, 10k, Half Marathon or Full Marathon). Our focus on is on raising awareness, support and much needed resources for Mitochondrial Disease.
Mitochondrial Disease affects 1 in 6000 people. It is the failure of the mitochondria – a part of every cell in our body – to produce energy for the cell. When mitochondria fail, less and less energy is converted in the cells. The cells may stop working or die. Depending on where the affected cells are, parts of the body may not function properly and many health problems can result. The symptoms of Mitochondrial Disease can range from mild to severe.
Benefits of being part of the Team MitoCanada Ottawa include:
- Reimbursed race entry fee for those who fundraise more than $500.
- Free MitoCanada technical running shirt.
- Incentive to get fit and participate in a world-class running event.
- The camaraderie among a team that is making a difference – supported at our blog www.mitocanada.org/team
Benefits to MitoCanada:
- Participating on Team MitoCanada will help to raise awareness about mitochondrial disease and MitoCanada by teaming up with a world-class event.
- Encourages participation by allowing registrants in any of the five running events to raise funds.
- Reduces costs associated with organizing a stand-alone fundraising event.
- Convenience and security of online fundraising through Artez Interactive at no cost. No transaction fees of any kind!
We have 40+ runners so far with a goal 100+ and to raise $10,000. Please pass the word to your running friends.
We have also just launched ‘Team MitoCanada’ – a platform for raising awareness though sport. You can visit us at www.mitocanada.org/team